From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:33:33
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2004 02:05, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:15:42PM -0400 or thereabouts, Dylan Carlson
3 wrote:
4 > > I think it would be fine to allow people to do it this way, and some
5 > > people already do, but I don't think it should be part of Enterprise
6 > > Gentoo. Profiling isn't complex. Trying to support the millions of
7 > > different ways people can set up overlays is.
8 >
9 > I agree with Dylan here. While a tarball approach is certainly one
10 > possilbe approach, requiring security ebuilds to be housed in an overlay
11 > adds an extra layer of complexity. The profiling solution is easier given
12 > the way our tools (mainly portage) currently operate.
13
14 While I don't care about tarball vs. rsync (both don't matter that much to me)
15 I don't think a profile is a solution. It would contain too many packages.
16 Further it would still need maintenance for new packages as packages that are
17 not pinned in the profile are available freely
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze
23 Gentoo Developer