From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] non-Gentoo stuff in our CVS
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:51:41
1 On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:36:57 +0000 Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 | On Sunday 10 October 2004 9:37 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 | > I feel that it is our best interest if developer made patches are
4 | > assigned to gentoo, but we could also do it by simple copyright
5 | > assignment (e.g. putting a header on the patch which says Copyright
6 | > Gentoo Foundation 200x)
7 |
8 | Doing this would prevent such patches from being submitted upstream to
9 | projects with just as absurd a policy (copyright assigned to only
10 | them). This kind of policy really prevents open source from being any
11 | better than proprietary software-- if both projects require exclusive
12 | ownership of the code, then either one or the other can use it, not
13 | both.--
14
15 No, it just means that the patches in question would have to go in
16 mirror://gentoo/ rather than in ${FILESDIR}.
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm