From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] non-Gentoo stuff in our CVS
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:17:01
1 On Sunday 10 October 2004 8:47 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:36:57 +0000 Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
3 > | On Sunday 10 October 2004 9:37 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
4 > | > I feel that it is our best interest if developer made patches are
5 > | > assigned to gentoo, but we could also do it by simple copyright
6 > | > assignment (e.g. putting a header on the patch which says Copyright
7 > | > Gentoo Foundation 200x)
8 > |
9 > | Doing this would prevent such patches from being submitted upstream to
10 > | projects with just as absurd a policy (copyright assigned to only
11 > | them). This kind of policy really prevents open source from being any
12 > | better than proprietary software-- if both projects require exclusive
13 > | ownership of the code, then either one or the other can use it, not
14 > | both.--
15 >
16 > No, it just means that the patches in question would have to go in
17 > mirror://gentoo/ rather than in ${FILESDIR}.
18
19 Assuming it is patches that is the issue. This would still be an issue if
20 someone wanted to mix Portage code (some generic function, perhaps) with
21 another program that has the same policy.
22 --
23 Luke-Jr
24 Developer, Utopios
25 http://utopios.org/