From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Software patents
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 07:07:58
1 Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2 > On Monday, July 04, 2005 10:14 pm, Stuart Longland wrote:
3 >
4 >>Why stop there? Why not extend it to hardware manufacturers that make
5 >>heavy use of patents?
6 >>
7 >>Good luck finding a decent video card for that lovely desktop of yours. :-)
8 >
9 > I'm still holding out hope that the open sourced video card project (of which
10 > I can't recall the name) will have some degree of success. It'll likely be
11 > some time before they'll even be able to release a (conservative) moderately
12 > powerful graphics card.
13 >
14 > The likelyhood of them competing with nVidia is fairly low, but I suppose that
15 > the same was once said of AMD versus Intel.
16
17 I think I recall that one... Tech Source if I'm not mistaken...
18 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109831011607347&w=2
19
20 I too would love to see a decent open-source friendly graphic card. ATI
21 have been pretty good with their r200-based cards... although the
22 driver's still got quite a bit to be desired. I think a completely open
23 player in the field might just be what the industry needs.
24
25 But that's offtopic for this thread :-)
28 ____ _ Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
29 / _ \ ___ ___ __| |__ __ __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
30 - (_) \ / \ ; \(__ __)/ \ / \ Developer
33 (___/ \____/|_; |_| \_/ \__/ \__/ http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter