From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New metastructure proposal
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:44:43
1 On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 22:50 +0200, paul@×××××××××.org wrote:
2 > it's just so easy to step on other
3 > ppls feet these days ;)
4
5 I tend to agree that this is a problem, but only insofar as we've become
6 too territorial. Many times I see bugs filed with seemingly minor
7 changes being asked for. A good example is bug #173884 which is a
8 completely valid request. The change is simple, removing
9 "insinto /etc/env.d ; doins $somefile" and replacing it with "doenvd
10 $somefile" instead. Now, this is something that *anyone* with commit
11 access should feel comfortable doing to *anyone's* packages without fear
12 of being attacked for touching someone else's packages. Unfortunately,
13 we're all a bit too territorial over what we keep in the tree sometimes.
14 If we had more explicit freedom to touch other people's packages for
15 minor things, we would go a lot further towards the goal of being a
16 community of mutually respectful people working towards a common goal.
17 Our rule of thumb here is pretty simple... "If you touch it, don't break
18 it. If you break it, fix it." Some people have become too frightened
19 to touch packages for even typo fixes due to the territoriality of some
20 of our developers. We need to fix this and have a more open and
21 welcoming feeling for new developers and old developers alike.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
26 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
27 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
28 Gentoo Foundation