From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk1 vs. gtk2
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:49:03
1 * Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 <snip>
6 > > The APIs are incompatible.
9 > They are still the both evolutions of the same development tree, they
10 > are the same package, just different versions.
11
12 Let's take an example the automobile world:
13
14 The Mitsubishi Galant is an sucessor of the Lancer in the same way
15 as gtk2 is sucessor of gtk1. Both car types are different, just
16 sharing many concepts.
17
18 > If we changed the name of a package every time there was an API break,
19 > we would literally have thousands of packages in the tree that essentially
20 > do the same thing, just with different API's.
21
22 Yes, but it would be much more cleaner. Everyone would see what
23 actually happens. Now its hidden from the user, but not changing
24 the fact that they're different.
25
26 <snip>
27
28 > According to this philosophy, we should change the name of the package
29 > every time net-misc/neon comes out with a new version, since it breaks
30 > API on every version.
31
32 If APIs break with every version (on non-alpha stuff), it's principle
33 design failure. I tend to avoid such unstable packages.
34 Thanks for the warning of neon, so I'll never even think of using it.
35
36 > > BTW: an "problem will go away by itself sooner or later" isn't
37 > > actually an good argumentation for such kind of problems.
38 >
39 > There is no problem, gtk1 and gtk2 can be installed on the same
40 > system at the same time,
41
42 Of course. They're different packages.
43
44 > and all packages in the tree have their dependencies set up to
45 > depends on whichever version of gtk they need. SLOTS take care
46 > of this quite well.
47
48 Yes, but package maintainers have to be much more carefully about
49 these dependencies, as it would be necessary if we actually would
50 treat them as different packages.
53 cu
54 --
56 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
58 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
59 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
60 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
61 http://patches.metux.de/
63 --
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list