From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching order of packages in virtual/pkgconfig
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 13:47:40
1 On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 01/01/13 23:01, Jeff Horelick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I would like to propose a switch of the order of DEPENDs in
5 >> virtual/pkgconfig to make dev-util/pkgconf[pkg-config] the default
6 >> choice for new installations.
7 >>
8 >> dev-util/pkgconf has less external dependencies, is lighter and is
9 >> faster than dev-util/pkgconfig while being now 100% compatible
10 >>
11 >> This switch has already been made by Funtoo, Alpine Linux and FreeBSD
12 >> with very little in the way of ill effects recently from any of those
13 >> 3 camps.
14 >>
15 >> There are no more pending bugs against pkgconf (and Diego did a
16 >> tinderbox run with it a while back) in Gentoo.
17 >>
18 >> pkgconf also has a upstream that is more than happy to work with us
19 >> specifically (or anyone for that matter) and I (a Gentoo developer) am
20 >> one of the upstream developers.
21 >>
22 >> If this is approved, I will make the change in ~2 weeks. I'm not
23 >> planning on making a news item because users should notice little
24 >> difference.
25 >>
26 >> Thanks
27 >> Jeff
30 > i'd say never. there is no benefit in switching. pkg-config is the default
31 > implementation from freedesktop.org.
32 > pkg-config is now lighter and has less dependencies than before as the
33 > switch from bundled glib1 to glib2 allowed dropping of the popt library.
34 >
35 > and since pkgconf upstream doesn't properly follow pkg-config upstream git
36 > and do necessary changes, like for bug 445796 it would mean pkg-config
37 > related bugs would have to be reported to double upstream and thus, not be
38 > maintainable
39 >
40 > last I checked prefix didn't have issues with the pkg-config bootstrap
41 > either. there is no circular deps either.
42 >
43 > lose-lose situation for the switch, so over my commit access ;-)
46 I agree with you. The original implementation should be our default.
47 People interested in get rid of the glib dependency should be able to
48 replace pkg-config with pkgconf manually. No need to make an
49 "unofficial" implementation the default.
50
51 Regards,
54 Rafael Goncalves Martins
55 Gentoo Linux developer