From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching order of packages in virtual/pkgconfig
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 12:12:20
1 On 01/01/13 23:01, Jeff Horelick wrote:
2 > I would like to propose a switch of the order of DEPENDs in
3 > virtual/pkgconfig to make dev-util/pkgconf[pkg-config] the default
4 > choice for new installations.
5 >
6 > dev-util/pkgconf has less external dependencies, is lighter and is
7 > faster than dev-util/pkgconfig while being now 100% compatible
8 >
9 > This switch has already been made by Funtoo, Alpine Linux and FreeBSD
10 > with very little in the way of ill effects recently from any of those
11 > 3 camps.
12 >
13 > There are no more pending bugs against pkgconf (and Diego did a
14 > tinderbox run with it a while back) in Gentoo.
15 >
16 > pkgconf also has a upstream that is more than happy to work with us
17 > specifically (or anyone for that matter) and I (a Gentoo developer) am
18 > one of the upstream developers.
19 >
20 > If this is approved, I will make the change in ~2 weeks. I'm not
21 > planning on making a news item because users should notice little
22 > difference.
23 >
24 > Thanks
25 > Jeff
28 i'd say never. there is no benefit in switching. pkg-config is the
29 default implementation from freedesktop.org.
30 pkg-config is now lighter and has less dependencies than before as the
31 switch from bundled glib1 to glib2 allowed dropping of the popt library.
32
33 and since pkgconf upstream doesn't properly follow pkg-config upstream
34 git and do necessary changes, like for bug 445796 it would mean
35 pkg-config related bugs would have to be reported to double upstream and
36 thus, not be maintainable
37
38 last I checked prefix didn't have issues with the pkg-config bootstrap
39 either. there is no circular deps either.
40
41 lose-lose situation for the switch, so over my commit access ;-)