From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching order of packages in virtual/pkgconfig
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 13:30:13
1 On 02/01/13 13:11, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 01/01/13 23:01, Jeff Horelick wrote:
3 >> I would like to propose a switch of the order of DEPENDs in
4 >> virtual/pkgconfig to make dev-util/pkgconf[pkg-config] the default
5 >> choice for new installations.
6 >>
7 >> dev-util/pkgconf has less external dependencies, is lighter and is
8 >> faster than dev-util/pkgconfig while being now 100% compatible
9 >>
10 >> This switch has already been made by Funtoo, Alpine Linux and FreeBSD
11 >> with very little in the way of ill effects recently from any of those
12 >> 3 camps.
13 >>
14 >> There are no more pending bugs against pkgconf (and Diego did a
15 >> tinderbox run with it a while back) in Gentoo.
16 >>
17 >> pkgconf also has a upstream that is more than happy to work with us
18 >> specifically (or anyone for that matter) and I (a Gentoo developer) am
19 >> one of the upstream developers.
20 >>
21 >> If this is approved, I will make the change in ~2 weeks. I'm not
22 >> planning on making a news item because users should notice little
23 >> difference.
24 >>
25 >> Thanks
26 >> Jeff
29 > i'd say never. there is no benefit in switching. pkg-config is the
30 > default implementation from freedesktop.org.
31
32 And has its share of issues.
33
34 > pkg-config is now lighter and has less dependencies than before as the
35 > switch from bundled glib1 to glib2 allowed dropping of the popt library.
36
37 As if glib-2 is any lighter...
38
39 > and since pkgconf upstream doesn't properly follow pkg-config upstream
40 > git and do necessary changes, like for bug 445796 it would mean
41 > pkg-config related bugs would have to be reported to double upstream and
42 > thus, not be maintainable
43
44 Non sequitur at best. My interaction with both upstreams had been decent
45 though.
46
47 > last I checked prefix didn't have issues with the pkg-config bootstrap
48 > either. there is no circular deps either.
49
50 check glib deps iirc some non-glibc platforms have few problems with it.
51
52 lu