From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Switching order of packages in virtual/pkgconfig
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 21:02:01
1 I would like to propose a switch of the order of DEPENDs in
2 virtual/pkgconfig to make dev-util/pkgconf[pkg-config] the default
3 choice for new installations.
4
5 dev-util/pkgconf has less external dependencies, is lighter and is
6 faster than dev-util/pkgconfig while being now 100% compatible
7
8 This switch has already been made by Funtoo, Alpine Linux and FreeBSD
9 with very little in the way of ill effects recently from any of those
10 3 camps.
11
12 There are no more pending bugs against pkgconf (and Diego did a
13 tinderbox run with it a while back) in Gentoo.
14
15 pkgconf also has a upstream that is more than happy to work with us
16 specifically (or anyone for that matter) and I (a Gentoo developer) am
17 one of the upstream developers.
18
19 If this is approved, I will make the change in ~2 weeks. I'm not
20 planning on making a news item because users should notice little
21 difference.
22
23 Thanks
24 Jeff