From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] College Course in Gentoo Development
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 17:23:52
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 17/12/12 10:32 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
5 > Hi everyone,
6 >
7 > Give the talk on the list about attracting devs, I've should
8 > probably mention that I'm teaching a College Course on Gentoo
9 > Development next semester. I know two students will most likely go
10 > through the recruitment process, others may at least contribute.
11 > So its like GSoC but the focus is not one project but an overview
12 > of general gentoo development, and I will have to touch on lots of
13 > stuff outside of gentoo per se, like how autotools and other build
14 > systems work.
15 >
16 > So what should I teach? Here's what I've got off the top of my
17 > head:
18 >
19 > 1. Open source communities and Gentoo's internal political
20 > structure.
21 >
22 > 2. Building a gentoo system, ie the handbook. Gentoo as
23 > metadistribution.
24 >
25 > 3. Delivering the goods: code -> build system -> portage ->
26 > compiled goodies -> working system
27 >
28 > 4. How to work with gnu autotools. Writing a build system.
29 >
30 > 5. How to write ebuilds, ie the dev manual. How to work with cvs
31 > and git.
34 "5.5: BUGS"
35
36 Very appropriate here to include somewhere (perhaps as a precursor to
37 #4 or as part of #5) how to (A) generate useful patches, (B) apply
38 patches for testing (overlay ebuild, epatch_user, etc), (C) use
39 bugzilla (useful submissions, bug-wrangling, herds). QA related
40 issues would be good to deal with, also (maybe under arch testing in
41 #6?). IE: missing dependencies, automagic dependencies, --as-needed
42 failures, etc. etc.
45 > 6. Arches, arch testing. Profiles.
46 >
47 > 7. Building stages. Catalyst.
48 >
49 > Somewhere in there I'll squeeze in Gentoo's "alt" factor:
50 > alternative c libs, alternative compilers and hardening,
51 > alternative kernels, prefixes.
52 >
53 > Please comment. If it gets systematized enough, it can be a guide
54 > to future devs too. Everything will be creative commons.
57 The exam isn't going to be the ebuild quiz, is it? :)