From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The deal with epkgmove
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:10:05
1 > As for moving packages by hand vs. using a tool, that's not really infra's
2 > call. If you were asking about CVS vs. SVN, I have been and remain
3 > opposed
4 > to using SVN for gentoo-x86 until someone can offer a whole lot of
5 > assurances around SVN's ability to manage a repo of our size. (1.3GB,
6 > 216,000+ files and counting)
7
8 KDE moved to Subversion earlier this year, with a few million lines of
9 source code and hundreds of branches and tags. It did it flawlessly and
10 maintained over 400,000 commit history items.
11
12 I don't think stability is the biggest hurdle here. I think the
13 conversion process will be - they had to write a lot of code from scratch
14 to handle maintaining all of that history (the stock cvs2svn wasn't robust
15 enough), and they had to run the conversion process a number of times,
16 find the bugs, rework their conversion code, and rerun. It was a lengthy
17 process (a few weeks I believe).
18
19 It's going to require someone to actually write the conversion code and
20 provide a proof of concept conversion. If anyone's up to the challenge, I
21 imagine contacting their sysadmins would be a good start.
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list