From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The deal with epkgmove
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:50:59
1 On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 11:52:33AM +0000 or thereabouts, Ian Leitch wrote:
2 > For the time being and near future, I think moves should be done by hand.
3 >
4 > What are your thoughts on this, infra?
5
6 As for moving packages by hand vs. using a tool, that's not really infra's
7 call. If you were asking about CVS vs. SVN, I have been and remain opposed
8 to using SVN for gentoo-x86 until someone can offer a whole lot of
9 assurances around SVN's ability to manage a repo of our size. (1.3GB,
10 216,000+ files and counting)
11
12 CVS may not be the new, shiny kid on the block, but it's been very stable,
13 presented few problems and, in general, has served us well over the past 5+
14 years. Folks tend to point at the fancy bells and whistles that other
15 VCS offer, but they don't always stop to consider the stability and
16 scalability which are the most important characteristics by far.
17
18 --kurt