From: Ian Leitch <port001@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The deal with epkgmove
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:57:19
1 For those who aren't devs; epkgmove is a tool to move and rename
2 packages around in CVS. It lives here: [1]
3
4 As it stands currently, epkgmove is likely to mess up the tree for
5 anything but simple package moves/renames with only a couple of minor
6 deps. The code is hideous, and needs a rewrite.
7
8 However, I don't think we should even be using such a tool. Package
9 moves are best done on the server where it can keep track of all
10 dependency and package references as they're committed. For epkgmove to
11 perform 100% accurate moves, it needs to do a full tree scan plus
12 reverse dep checking, which would make it too slow to be useful.
13 There are a handful of other non-trivial checks it has too perform.
14
15 SVN in combination with the mentioned server side caching would probably
16 be the best solution, though obviously CVS -> SVN transition for
17 gentoo-x86 is no minor task.
18
19 For the time being and near future, I think moves should be done by hand.
20
21 What are your thoughts on this, infra?
22
23 1: http://dev.gentoo.org/~port001/DevTools/epkgmove/
24
25 Regards,