From: Panagiotis Christopoulos <pchrist@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Devmanual text on ChangeLogs
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 10:45:13
1 On 12:06 Sun 01 May , Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > So not only they are rather useless, and information you can easily get
3 > from sources.gentoo.org, they take your time as well.
4
5 Then, let's change it to:
6 <snip>
7 "Every new file, and modification to existing file should have an entry
8 in ChangeLog. Though not mandatory, it is highly recommended that file
9 removals are also recorded the same way."
10 </snip>
11 to keep everyone happy until we deal with changelogs another way or
12 improve the committing process. I suppose most removals happen together
13 with additions, so it's not a big deal.
14 When only a removal happens, it will be in the developer's decision how
15 to handle the ChangeLog (as it was always). Don't get me wrong here. I
16 believe that removals should be recorded. Searching in ChangeLogs for
17 changes is much easier than visiting sources.gentoo.org, it's more
18 formal and you have a complete history of your package. However, I can
19 undestand what Samuli says, it can be frustrating and slow to deal with
20 echangelog when there is a "big commit load". But again, Can it be
21 slower than doing keywording/stabilizations? I don't remember any arch
22 tester to have complained about that but we complain about removals?
23 Maybe it's just my memory.
26 Panagiotis Christopoulos ( pchrist )
27 ( Gentoo Lisp Project )