From: Mark Dierolf <mark@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few modest suggestions regarding tree size
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:43:36
1 I've been watching this discussion as far as tree size, and i'm suprised
2 nobody has brought the idea of on-demand downloading yet.
3
4 I don't see the point of having to run rsync every night. Portage should
5 auto-download ebuilds when it needs them. I don't think I use even 5% of the
6 ebuilds in portage. It's a total waste of space. It's a total waste of
7 bandwidth. It makes me feel hurt inside, that my bandwidth is being
8 squandered.
9
10 Though, half the fun of gentoo is watching pages after pages of confusing
11 compile/rsync/etc. data scroll by nightly.
12
13 With all the bandwidth we would save, we could make a little gentoo anthem mp3
14 download and play while the user is emerging. Something like "Ride of the
15 Valkyries" mixed with "C&C Music Factory".
16
17 Let's start the flame war :)
18
19 Mark Dierolf