From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: Mark Dierolf <mark@×××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few modest suggestions regarding tree size
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:14:18
1 On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 16:43, Mark Dierolf wrote:
2 > I don't see the point of having to run rsync every night.
3 Then don't. On some machines I only run it every month or so and they
4 still work.
5
6 > Portage should auto-download ebuilds when it needs them.
7 So you only have to rsync the dependency info. You save maybe 50%
8 traffic, but need some ebuild servers that will be hit by millions of
9 small requests for single ebuilds. No thanks.
10
11 > I don't think I use even 5% of the ebuilds in portage. It's a total waste of space. It's a total waste of
12 > bandwidth. It makes me feel hurt inside, that my bandwidth is being
13 > squandered.
14 So maybe a x86-only, a ppc-only, ... rsync repository would be more useful?
15 I'm sure that it's not much better, but it would reduce the number of
16 files.
17
18 > Though, half the fun of gentoo is watching pages after pages of confusing
19 > compile/rsync/etc. data scroll by nightly.
20 You do know about obsessive-compulsive disorder, right? ;-)
21
22 > With all the bandwidth we would save, we could make a little gentoo anthem mp3
23 > download and play while the user is emerging. Something like "Ride of the
24 > Valkyries" mixed with "C&C Music Factory".
25 How about a fractal-based rsync visualizer? ;-)
26
27 > Let's start the flame war :)
28 I thought those were only on tuesdays?
29
30 Patrick