From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 01:24:33
1 On Thursday 06 July 2006 20:57, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > I'm just saying that I wouldn't discard entirely a solution just because
3 > some unsupported software _might_ not work (note the conditional). I
4 > wouldn't discard a solution just because it _might_ not work on
5 > GNU/kFreeBSD; I would discard it if I _know for sure_ that it does not work
6 > on GNU/kFreeBSD (in which case, knowing it doesn't work, I would look for a
7 > working solution).
8
9 you missed the point of my reply ... flatly discarding anything because we
10 dont currently support it is a bad place to be
11
12 what i was implying wasnt for you to discard an entire solution, just be more
13 flexible
14
15 forward thinking is what has allowed Gentoo to be trivially ported to what was
16 once considered unsupported (i know it's helped a ton in porting to obscure
17 cpus :P)
18
19 now, put that in your pipe and smoke it
20 -mike