From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: packages.g.o: new features available
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 08:37:00
1 On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 02:57:57 +0000
2 Max Magorsch <arzano@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Additionally, there are new sites for all package maintainers, that is:
5 > - Gentoo Projects (e.g. python@g.o)
6 > - Gentoo Developers (e.g. larry@g.o
7 > - Proxied Maintainers (e.g. larry@×××××××.de)
8
9 Some other thoughts here, I've found it very helpful when working on
10 our *very* large set of responsibilities, to be able to cluster
11 problems alphabetically.
12
13 For instance,
14
15 > https://packagestest.gentoo.org/maintainer/perl@g.o/outdated
16
17 Is a bit of an unwieldy mountain to conquer, and it may be better to
18 paginate it by the first letter of ${PN}, or cluster it.
19
20 So you could have:
21
22 Outdated:
23 dev-perl/A*: 4 packages
24 dev-perl/B*: 6 packages
25 dev-perl/C*: 1234 packages
26
27 And expand each into their composites on demand.
28
29 Though it also helps to point out I generally approach this as:
30
31 - Target dev-perl/A*:
32 - for each dev-perl/A*, enumerate everything, absolutely everything,
33 about each and every package that may warrant my attention, be it
34 - being outdated
35 - having open bugs
36 - having keywording/stabilization bugs
37 - having minor/major QA issues. ( for instance, one right now is
38 "no versions are >EAPI5" )
39
40 And I use this as my baseline, and then walk through them all
41 alphabetically, applying whatever local testing regimen required to
42 find various classes of bugs that are getting reported lately, applying
43 relevant local audits to find bugs that *could* be filed in future.
44
45 And its generally easier to tackle the problem when segmented this way.