From: Yuri Vasilevski <yvasilev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC][NEW] Utility to find orphaned files
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:34:35
1 Hello,
2
3 On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:18:25 +0200
4 Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > Hello developers developers and developers,
7 >
8 > Ever wondered how much crap is left in your X-years old Gentoo box?
9 >
10 > I just developed a python utility to efficiently find orphaned files
11 > in the system. By orphaned files I mean the files that are present on
12 > system directories and don't belong to any installed package.
13 >
14 > The package builds a virtual filesystem (cache) on the RAM using
15 > python hash tables. Then it uses the cache to find the ownership of
16 > files inside user-specified dirs.
17 >
18 > Building the cache takes less than 10 seconds here in a system with
19 > 1366 installed packages.
20 >
21 > This is not intended to be a finished program yet, I'm looking forward
22 > for your constructive commentaries.
23
24 There is a tool that does that, qfile from app-portage/portage-utils.
25 Check the "-o, --orphans * List orphan files" option.
26
27 It's not as straight forward as it could be, as it checks only for
28 files specified as arguments or read from file.
29
30 But you can trivially use it like:
31 # find /dir/you/want/to/check/for/orphans | qfile -o -f -
32
33 Best,
34 Yuri.