From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [brainstorm] dev-lang internal package managers and portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 21:13:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 01/01/2013 02:14 PM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
5 > Hi there! Long time ago I discovered that many language-specific
6 > packages (libraries, webapps) written on languages like PHP, Ruby,
7 > Lua and so on has (often) almost hardcoded dependence to be
8 > installed via their native package managers (pecl, cpan, luarocks,
9 > gem, bundler and so on). More of that, I discovered quite spiked
10 > way to install lang-specific packages in portage (fakegem eclass,
11 > pecl-php eclass and so on). Thinking in that way guided me to
12 > suggest to develop some kind of compatibility layer between portage
13 > (and sandboxed installation) and that lang-specific package
14 > managers. So then it will be almost unneeded to, for example, write
15 > tons of new local ebuilds when installing, for example new version
16 > of redmine. Or to write tons of spikes when installing some PHP or
17 > Lua apps, designed for pecl or luarocks respectively.
18 >
19 > But on the other hand — QA issues. I afraid, that it will make us
20 > responsible to upstream failures (in users eyes).
21 >
22 > Anyway, let's discuss some ideas on that behaviour.
25 > BTW, this post is mainly sponsored by great PITA about deploying
26 > rails applications and trying to get them to work with system-wide
27 > dev-ruby/* things installed (while upstream REQUIRES to use
28 > bundler). It is also minor-sponsored by some kepler-project apps
29 > (Lua) and some PHP apps.
30
31 I'm in the process of rolling out the latest Redmine.
32
33 First, bundler et al. are happy to use the system stuff. You just need
34 to make sure all of the dependencies for your app are installed.
35
36 Your problem isn't that you need a general solution to the upstream
37 packaging problem -- it's that redmine is basically unmaintained in
38 Gentoo, so you have to do it yourself. And maintaining rails packages
39 is hard, so it sucks even more that the effort is duplicated. As a
40 user I don't care where the ebuilds come from or what they do, just
41 that they're up-to-date, in the main tree, and work.
42
43 If Redmine was being properly maintained, you could just `emerge
44 redmine` to pull in its dependencies. Then you could download Redmine
45 yourself, stick it somewhere, and bundler would be happy.
46
47 In lieu of that, what we do is create ebuilds like
48 www-apps/redmine-dependencies. I manually parse the Gemfile for the
49 (R)DEPENDs. My life would be a lot easier if we had something like
50 gentoo-haskell's hackport that could parse a Gemfile and spit out an
51 ebuild. But in any case, it's a poor substitute for doing it right.