From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Adding large files to the mirrors?
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:02:29
1 Mike Auty posted on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:15:10 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > First off, thanks everybody for the suggestions. It seems like people
4 > aren't keen to mirror the large tables on our mirrors, but no one's
5 > mentioned a reason for not doing so. Is there an infra reason behind
6 > that or did everyone just take my caution and run with it?
7
8 Based on previous related discussion, it's simply a reluctance to throw
9 that much extra resource requirements at the folks who are after all
10 /volunteering/ to host gentoo mirrors. We're invited guests whose
11 continued presence is at their pleasure, and we shouldn't be taking undue
12 advantage of the privileges we're given or the resources required to
13 support us as such.
14
15 If it's a core requirement, no problem. But the further from core
16 requirement it gets the more sensitive infra seems to be about non-
17 trivial space requirements, and any way you look at it, 30 gigs of
18 rainbow tables are both non-core and non-trivial, especially with the
19 split package and no-mirror on the big package solution, so...
20
21 Beyond that, I suppose it'd be a topic for the mirror list.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman