From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:09:40
1 Alistair Bush wrote:
2 > I just don't think those numbers tell us anything and that should be
3 > obvious from anyone who has read GLEP 55[1], we ain't really attempting
4 > to solve a problem that exists within the tree currently (well the bash
5 > issue does, in a way ). We are trying to solve issues that ware stopping
6 > the "tree" moving forward. Lets evaluate GLEP 55 in the problems it is
7 > attempting to solve.
8
9 I'm afraid you missed the whole point...
10
11 - what is in the proposal is a solution looking for a problem: nobody
12 updated the glep with the required sections, nobody put up a list of
13 bugs/rfe from bugzilla it helps to solve. Vague "leading to the future
14 change" declaration aren't what I'd expect.
15
16 - Assuming there is an actual reason to move forward (by digging
17 bugzilla yourself or deciding to do so as academic exercise) you could
18 think about the problem and its solutions (my the email starting this
19 thread on dev)
20
21 - Given all you need is just to have a way to get the information about
22 EAPI before you actually parse the ebuild since the eapi defines how you
23 parse it, you can come up with various solutions, the simplest being
24 first extract the eapi, being it in a fixed place, and then do the parse.
25
26 - Extracting such information could have different costs depending on
27 where to place it.
28
29 - I started to check if the proposal about having the fixed position as
30 the end of the filename is really much more viable than having it at the
31 top of the file.
32
33 lu
38 Luca Barbato