From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:50:39
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Alistair Bush wrote:
3 >> I just don't think those numbers tell us anything and that should be
4 >> obvious from anyone who has read GLEP 55[1], we ain't really attempting
5 >> to solve a problem that exists within the tree currently (well the bash
6 >> issue does, in a way ). We are trying to solve issues that ware stopping
7 >> the "tree" moving forward. Lets evaluate GLEP 55 in the problems it is
8 >> attempting to solve.
9 >
10 > I'm afraid you missed the whole point...
11 >
12 > - what is in the proposal is a solution looking for a problem: nobody
13 > updated the glep with the required sections, nobody put up a list of
14 > bugs/rfe from bugzilla it helps to solve. Vague "leading to the future
15 > change" declaration aren't what I'd expect.
18 So im mean't to start committing ebuilds into the tree that expect a
19 certain unimplemented functionality, only to file bugs against portage
20 for it not supporting them? Or can we be smart enough to realise that
21 there are limitation to the current standard and then attempt to fix
22 them before they become a problem. Plus we already know of at least one
23 case where we will encounter a problem in the future, why? because we
24 have already. Not sure if there is a open bug about it tho.
25
26 This actually eats at me, your basically saying GLEP's should only be
27 reactive. Why don't we all just roll over and die.
28
29 > - Assuming there is an actual reason to move forward (by digging
30 > bugzilla yourself or deciding to do so as academic exercise) you could
31 > think about the problem and its solutions (my the email starting this
32 > thread on dev)
33
34 I have already considered the problems, and believe GLEP 55 is the
35 **best** solution to them. Is it perfect, no. But I have yet to see
36 anything better.
39 > - Given all you need is just to have a way to get the information about
40 > EAPI before you actually parse the ebuild since the eapi defines how you
41 > parse it, you can come up with various solutions, the simplest being
42 > first extract the eapi, being it in a fixed place, and then do the parse.
45 Yes exactly, you need to know the EAPI before you __parse__ the ebuild.
46 At least we agree that nothing should have to read the contents of the
47 file to determine EAPI (doing so would be parsing now wouldn't it). So
48 seeing that we agree with that, where should we stick the EAPI.
49 mmmmm....
50
51 1) How about in a flat txt file: That would become a developers
52 nightmare.
53 2) In an xml file. Package managers would have to support xml. Not
54 the best thing in the world. also could be a nightmare, adding an entry
55 for every ebuild.
56 3) As an xattr. Well this idea is novel. I bet it would make the tree
57 nice and stable too. Lets not forget how annoying it will be for devs.
58 4) Parsing the ebuild. But what are we parsing?, lets not limit
59 ourselves to bash, we might want to change languages completely. If it
60 is bash, what version, what if EAPI is set multiple times, what if its
61 set in an eclass.
62 5) Mmmmm...On the file name sounds like a good idea. especially as an
63 extension. provides information to a package manager, person,
64 script/program without them needing to open anything. identifies the
65 contents just like .txt, .c, .o, .jpeg, etc
66
67 > - Extracting such information could have different costs depending on
68 > where to place it.
69
70 I believe it being on the filename would be the least costly, in terms
71 of processor/io at least.