From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: OpenAFS no longer needs kernel option DEBUG_RODATA
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:24:06
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 14:57:36 +0100 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:41:56 +0300
5 > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
6 [...]
7 > > I see no point in trashing ebuilds with dead code that will never
8 > > be used. Though if there will be a PMS or eclass function with
9 > > "proper" implementation, I don't mind, since extra code will be
10 > > moved from ebuild elsewhere.
11 >
12 > Slots are not the only way in which you can end up with multiple
13 > installed versions of the same package. Another way is if there's a
14 > fatal error during certain parts of the upgrade process.
15
16 If setup is broken to the point when several version within single
17 slot are installed (or are reported to be installed), then:
18
19 1) There is no way to tell which version is valid and all of them
20 may be invalid. That's why REPLACING_VERSIONS is of no use at all
21 in such situation.
22
23 2) System is severely broken and mistakenly shown (or not shown)
24 ewarn message will be the least problem for a user of such system.
25
26 Best regards,
27 Andrew Savchenko