From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: OpenAFS no longer needs kernel option DEBUG_RODATA
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:58:02
1 On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:41:56 +0300
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:14:23 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > Dnia 22 lipca 2016 13:00:42 CEST, Andrew Savchenko
5 > > <bircoph@g.o> napisał(a):
6 > > >On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 07:12:12 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
7 > [...]
8 > > >> Few important QA notes:
9 > > >>
10 > > >> 1. < is lexicographical comparison, so e.g. 1.6.2.2 < 1.6.18.2
11 > > >> gives false,
12 > > >
13 > > >Thanks, fixed.
14 > > >
15 > > >> 2. REPLACING_VERSIONS can have more than one value,
16 > > >
17 > > >While it can indeed, I see no way for this to happen if package
18 > > >hasn't and never had multiple slots.
19 > >
20 > > Wrong. PMS specifically requests you to account for such a
21 > > possibility.
22 >
23 > Common sence must prevail over formal approaches. While PMS is
24 > great, it is not perfect in all possible aspects, and this one is
25 > one of them.
28 And this is a perfect example of why so much stuff in Gentoo is subtly
29 broken... Things are usually more complicated than you think, buggy code
30 usually works well enough that the mistakes aren't noticed in most
31 cases, and too many developers are far too convinced of their own
32 competence. You need to appreciate that you do not have a complete
33 understanding of what is going on, your "common sense" is leading you
34 astray, and that that API was designed the way it was out of necessity.
35
36 > I see no point in trashing ebuilds with dead code that will never
37 > be used. Though if there will be a PMS or eclass function with
38 > "proper" implementation, I don't mind, since extra code will be
39 > moved from ebuild elsewhere.
40
41 Slots are not the only way in which you can end up with multiple
42 installed versions of the same package. Another way is if there's a
43 fatal error during certain parts of the upgrade process.
46 Ciaran McCreesh