From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:27:04
1 On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 22:37 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > > Things that should definitely be changed:
3 > > - Integration with existing systems:
4 > > This definitely should be a requirement for the GLEP to be considered
5 > > final. It doesn't prevent some thing being implemented sooner than
6 > > others, but multi-channel distribution (to use a buzzword) is a
7 > > requirement from where I come from.
8 >
9 > One of the key things with successfully delivering a change programme is
10 > to not dilute the change by introducing too many at once.
11
12 Umm... what?
13
14 > If we simultaneously launch emerge --news w/ (f.ex) gatewaying to
15 > gentoo-announce, I believe that it weakens the impact of introducing
16 > emerge --news.
17
18 As I stated in my last email, emerge --news is not comprehensive enough
19 of a system to be usable by everyone. The only solution to this is to
20 introduce a system that delivers the same information across multiple
21 mediums.
22
23 How would I know about a new update to apache if I don't have it
24 installed on my workstation, use a remote portage tree delivered via NFS
25 to my servers, and don't use --pretend? I notice you didn't say
26 anything about emerge --news being fatal in any way, so if I just type
27 in "emerge -u world" on said server and then hit "control+a d" to detach
28 from the screen, when exactly am I going to see that the recent apache
29 update broke the config file format we had been using?
30
31 Where can I search for news on a package that might not exist on my
32 system?
33
34 Where can I find archived news to find out why I made a change
35 previously to my configurations?
36
37 > One of the objectives is to remove confusion from the minds of users
38 > about where to find the news. If we can start by pointing at one place,
39 > and saying "go there", we can clear up the confusion, and then
40 > afterwards introduce multi-channel distribution when our users "get it",
41 > so to speak.
42
43 Wouldn't it be easy to say "emerge --news, news.gentoo.org, the News
44 forum, or gentoo-announce... take your pick" than to say to the user
45 that they must run an emerge --sync to get news delivered to their
46 machine, and only news that is relevant to the packages installed on
47 that exact system, making it useless for people that administer multiple
48 machines?
49
50 > I'm all for making the news available via www.g.o etc etc as well - I
51 > just think doing it all at the same time will not be the most effective
52 > strategy.
53
54 No offense intended by this, but I haven't seen anyone agreeing with you
55 on this point. It seems to be your own quest to have the news *only*
56 delivered by portage. By your own admission, you want to reach 100% of
57 the users. The only effective way to do this is to essentially carpet
58 bomb the information into several mediums, all containing the *same*
59 information. Think about how advertising works. The idea is to put
60 your "product", the news, in our case, in front of as many eyes as
61 possible. This is best done by utilizing all of the media available to
62 us.
65 Chris Gianelloni
66 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
67 x86 Architecture Team