From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:01:40
1 On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 18:22 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > It seems to be your own quest to have the news *only*
3 > delivered by portage.
4
5 I thought I'd been very clear in the email that you've replied to that I
6 support making the news available via other ways. It's the timing that
7 I'm a bit worried about.
8
9 I've managed a few change programmes over the years, and I've had the
10 most success when a change happened in stages. The issues centre on the
11 ability of a large body of people to understand the change that has been
12 introduced. People find change itself confusing. If something isn't
13 given time to bed in, people never quite understand the original change,
14 and this undermines the benefits of introducing the change.
15
16 We live and breathe Gentoo daily, and we understand this news thing
17 because we've invested time and effort to kick it back and forward here
18 on -dev. The vast majority of our users haven't had that luxury, and
19 it'll take a while for them to "get it".
20
21 If the majority don't agree with me, not a problem; I'm not going to
22 stop you (like I could anyway!) from putting out multi-channel from day
23 one.
24
25 But if it was my decision, I'd roll out one channel first, and the
26 others later.
27
28 > By your own admission, you want to reach 100% of
29 > the users. The only effective way to do this is to essentially carpet
30 > bomb the information into several mediums, all containing the *same*
31 > information. Think about how advertising works. The idea is to put
32 > your "product", the news, in our case, in front of as many eyes as
33 > possible. This is best done by utilizing all of the media available to
34 > us.
35
36 That's not my experience of how advertising works.
37
38 My experience with advertising is that you place your product, service,
39 or message where your target audience is most likely to see it and be
40 affected by it. Most bang for your buck, if you like. The placement
41 creates the context for the advert.
42
43 Most advertising carries what the marketdroids term a "call to action" -
44 something that tells the reader how to buy the product, or whatever.
45 Some advertising is about raising general brand awareness (something
46 Orange was exceptional at), so that the reader will think of the firm
47 and its products at a point in the future.
48
49 Carpet-bombing, by comparison, goes against commonly observed human
50 psychology. If you tell people the same thing too many times, they stop
51 listening to you. Blitzing people just leaves them too shocked to
52 absorb the message.
53
54 But if you introduce something gradually, you can then turn up the
55 volume, so to speak, without people being unsettled by it. There's two
56 great stories in R. V. Jones "Most Secret War" where Dr. Jones used this
57 principle to play practical jokes on people he knew during his Oxford
58 days, for example.
59
60 I hope that the technical solution will allow users to choose to see
61 news about packages that are not installed - so that we can deliver news
62 that isn't strictly package related, such as new Gentoo LiveCDs, or a
63 Gentoo event, or so that we can deliver news where the package isn't yet
64 in the tree (f.ex. announcing a new overlay, or Gentoo-hosted project).
65
66 I'm not hoping for a 100% perfect technical solution straight away.
67 Release early, release often is the F/OSS way. Once we've agreed on
68 something that's fit for purpose, let's implement it, deploy it, get to
69 the tipping point, see how users react, and then improve it.
70
71 Best regards,
72 Stu
73 --
74 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
75 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
76 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
77
78 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
79 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C