From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: better policy for ChageLogs
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:09:22
1 On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> So we come back to the problem being *CVS* not ChangeLog rules.
4 >
5 > Well of course we can just tell everyone "go look it up on sources.gentoo.org".
6 > However, this is a different discussion.
9 sources.gentoo.org is a much worse (and slower) solution than cvs log.
10 The main advantage of a ChangeLog (and of git) is that it allows you
11 to check the history locally, without needing access to the network.
12
13 >> All this is such a massive waste of time. Can't we just expend this
14 >> energy on the move to git?
15 >
16 [snip]
17 > We're not talking about future plans here but about the current situation.
18 > And about how to deal with it.
21 The current situation is:
22
23 (a) Not dire.
24 (b) Not urgent.
25
26 And if we decide, hey, let's move to git instead of having this
27 discussion, the current situation is also:
28
29 (c) A waste of everyone's time.
30
31 So no, future plans are not independent of the current situation, and
32 a move to git *is* a way to deal with the current situation.
33
34 In effect, we kill (at least) two birds with one stone and prevent a
35 lot of argument and bad blood.
38 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
39
40 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team