From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to end-of-life tree-clean old profiles/updates/ files
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:01:21
1 On 12/10/2012 12:10 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 >> I propose that we say, once a year, schedule a tree-cleaning of old
3 >> updates files. These updates files could be added to a tarball made
4 >> available for download. That way if they are needed to update a system
5 >> older than what the main tree has been tree-cleaned to. They can then be
6 >> manually downloaded, extracted to the normal location and then run the
7 >> "fixpackages" command.
8 >
9 > I think that complicates the process. :-/ But maybe the advantages
10 > outweigh that.
11 >
12 >> The main question here is what is a reasonable length of time to keep
13 >> the updates actively in-tree?
14 >>
15 >> -- From my experience in the forums, I think any updates older than
16 >> 4 years should be subject to tree-cleaning.
17 >
18 > Yeah, 4 years is ancient and would probably be non-trivial to update anyway.
19 >
20 >> -- Most old systems that have been updated tend to be less than that,
21 >> probably about 2 years.
22 >
23 > 2 years seem reasonable.
24
25 For the records:
26 We do have some Gentoo box serving as VirtualBox host here, installed in early 2010,
27 not updated since then, with an uptime of 836 days right now. It is subject to upgrade,
28 but there may come another year until that to happen ("never change a running system").
29 Although I do not expect the update to be trivial, keeping things like pkgmove for at
30 least 4 years sounds reasonable.
31
32 /haubi/