From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to end-of-life tree-clean old profiles/updates/ files
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 23:11:06
1 On 12/9/12 1:17 PM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > Starting from a question by Markos in #gentoo-portage about whether to
3 > remove entries in profiles/updates for tree-cleaned packages...
4
5 What's the advantage of doing that?
6
7 > I propose that we say, once a year, schedule a tree-cleaning of old
8 > updates files. These updates files could be added to a tarball made
9 > available for download. That way if they are needed to update a system
10 > older than what the main tree has been tree-cleaned to. They can then be
11 > manually downloaded, extracted to the normal location and then run the
12 > "fixpackages" command.
13
14 I think that complicates the process. :-/ But maybe the advantages
15 outweigh that.
16
17 > The main question here is what is a reasonable length of time to keep
18 > the updates actively in-tree?
19 >
20 > -- From my experience in the forums, I think any updates older than
21 > 4 years should be subject to tree-cleaning.
22
23 Yeah, 4 years is ancient and would probably be non-trivial to update anyway.
24
25 > -- Most old systems that have been updated tend to be less than that,
26 > probably about 2 years.
27
28 2 years seem reasonable.