From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:55:09
1 > Stabilization of Python 3.1.* will be requested at the beginning of
2 > november. There was a suggestion to create a news item which would inform
3 > users that temporarily they shouldn't switch to Python 3 as their main
4 > interpreter. Python ebuilds don't automatically activate Python 3, so I'm
5 > not sure if the news item is required. What is your opinion about it?
8 Stablise.
9
10 And to pacify all the cry babies out there could we update portage tools to
11 call /usr/bin/python2.6 directly? (yes I realise this will break, but at least
12 it is a suggestion) Or how about we (remove python3.1 from the menu)/(stick
13 a big fat warning message)/(do something else) on eselect-python. Or create a
14 "system-python" link that all gentoo core apps use instead of /usr/bin/python
15 (longer term solution?). [rant]Hell maybe we could even start using those
16 slot dep thingy me bobbies to depend only a slot. So ppl don't have python3.1
17 unless something depends on it. Does portage have support for slots in world?
18 [/rant]
19
20 Solutions ppl. Thats is what we need. Not "oh poor woe is me".
21
22 Alistair.