From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 23:31:40
1 On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:55:00 +1200
2 Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > Stabilization of Python 3.1.* will be requested at the beginning of
5 > > november. There was a suggestion to create a news item which would inform
6 > > users that temporarily they shouldn't switch to Python 3 as their main
7 > > interpreter. Python ebuilds don't automatically activate Python 3, so I'm
8 > > not sure if the news item is required. What is your opinion about it?
11 > Stablise.
12 >
13 > And to pacify all the cry babies out there could we update portage tools to
14 > call /usr/bin/python2.6 directly? (yes I realise this will break, but at least
15 > it is a suggestion) Or how about we (remove python3.1 from the menu)/(stick
16 > a big fat warning message)/(do something else) on eselect-python. Or create a
17 > "system-python" link that all gentoo core apps use instead of /usr/bin/python
18 > (longer term solution?). [rant]Hell maybe we could even start using those
19 > slot dep thingy me bobbies to depend only a slot. So ppl don't have python3.1
20 > unless something depends on it. Does portage have support for slots in world?
21 > [/rant]
22
23 Or we could, say, leave it ~arch.
24
25 Why do you need python-3 in stable?
29 fonts, Character is what you are in the dark.
30 gcc-porting,
31 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662