From: Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:58:07
1 On 6/14/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 22:34 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
3 > > > It's not irrelevant; you're just not reading it properly. You might
4 > > > notice that metadata.xml contains tags other than <herd>, like, say,
5 > > > <maintainer>. In the example that sparked this, <herd> is games and
6 > > > <maintainer> the individual dev who maintains it. Simple enough, no?
7 > >
8 > > Please, go through the tree and see at least so many metadata.xml files
9 > > as I have seen, before claiming something that simply doesn't reflect
10 > > current practice. There are many ebuilds with no <maintainer> tag and
11 > > <herd> only. Are you claiming that they are unmaintained? Well, that
12 >
13 > Nobody said that they were unmaintained. Again, why do people *insist*
14 > on trying bullshit arguments like this? "Are you claiming.." No, he's
15 > not claiming that, or he would have *said* that.
16 >
17 > > obviously doesn't match the reality. So, if they actually _are_
18 > > maintained by the relevant herd, then you shouldn't dump stuff on that
19 > > herd without discussing it w/ them first. I'm pretty sure mcummings will
20 > > gladly explain to you what will happen if you do, as well as a bunch of
21 > > other devs... :P
22 >
23 > A herd is a group of packages, not a listing of people. When you get
24 > information from the herds.xml, you are getting the listing of the
25 > people that *maintain* that herd. You are not getting a listing of the
26 > people *in* the herd.
27
28 According to the devmanual [1]
29 "A herd is a collection of developers who maintain a collection of
30 related packages"
31
32 are you sure you are using the correct term?
33
34 [1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/herds-and-projects/index.html
35 >
36 > Please go back and read the herds project page[1] and try to understand
37 > this. It really is printed quite simply.
40 > > To make it pretty clear and explicit - bugs gets assigned to
41 > > <maintainer> (if there's any in metadata.xml), and get CCed to <herd>
42 > > (if there's any in metadata.xml). If there's no <maintainer>, whoever is
43 > > in <herd> will get that bug assigned and can happily smack you butt once
44 > > they've find out you've dumped the package on them without their
45 > > knowledge... That's how the large part of current ~600 dev-perl/*
46 > > ebuilds has made it into the tree and that mistake doesn't need to be
47 > > repeated.
48 >
49 > You are correct. This is *exactly* how it works. Also, you'll notice
50 > that nothing either I or Stephen has said contradicts this, if you
51 > actually went back and contemplated what we both said.
52 >
53 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/
54 >
55 > --
56 > Chris Gianelloni
57 > Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
58 > x86 Architecture Team
59 > Games - Developer
60 > Gentoo Linux
74 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list