From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 23:47:04
1 Thomas Deutschmann schrieb:
2 > So let's turn this around: Please show us a *real* case within Gentoo
3 > where "-Werror" prevented a real problem which wouldn't otherwise being
4 > noticed. E.g. show us a package which was merged on user's system,
5 > replacing a working previous version of that package causing *real*
6 > problems which could have been prevented if package would have set
7 > "-Werror".
8
9 I think your request will be difficult to meet, precisely due to the strict
10 policy against -Werror which means that it is already long gone from most
11 packages which originally had it.
12
13 From x11 packages (they used to be one of the major remaining -Werror
14 packages, cf. bug #416069) I recall a few cases where broken stuff on user
15 systems triggered -Werror build failures. But this was mostly people who
16 installed something to /usr/local and forgot about it.
19 Best regards,
20 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn