From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 22:56:02
1 On 2018-09-12 16:50, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > There is also the case where we want these warnings to block
3 > installation, because the risk of there being a problem is too great.
4
5 I really disagree with that. So many devs have already said multiple
6 times in this thread that "-Werror" is only turning existing warnings
7 into fatal errors but "-Werror" itself doesn't add any new checks and
8 more often requires "-O3" to be useful.
9
10 So let's turn this around: Please show us a *real* case within Gentoo
11 where "-Werror" prevented a real problem which wouldn't otherwise being
12 noticed. E.g. show us a package which was merged on user's system,
13 replacing a working previous version of that package causing *real*
14 problems which could have been prevented if package would have set
15 "-Werror".
16
17 Unless you can do that we don't really need to discuss this. Simply
18 because everyone interested in "-Werror" *can* set that flag via CFLAGS,
19 even just per package, whereas the majority, not interested in this,
20 cannot do the same to filter "-Werror". Nobody advocating for "-Werror"
21 replied to that fact yet.
25 Regards,
26 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
27 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5