From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Matt Thrailkill <xwred1@×××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Releng
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:30:42
1 On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 04:35, Matt Thrailkill wrote:
2 > Why not good old version numbers?
3 >
4 > Maybe start at 1.5 if what would be Gentoo 2004 were earthshattering
5 > enough to warrant that, then just do 1.5.1, 1.5.2, 1.5.3, etc etc until
6 > there is another earth-shattering change like portage-ng maybe?
7
8 I believe we decided that the date was more appropriate for Gentoo due
9 to it's constantly moving nature. Gentoo "releases" are just the
10 LiveCD/GRP/build environment and would be simply updates to the build
11 environment. We would create security fixed packages for any of the
12 packages in the GRP, but the portage tree would still remain "-current",
13 as far as I understood it. There is the idea of creating multiple
14 portage trees, for specific "releases" but this is actually a completely
15 separate idea, which I would guess would probably be merged again down
16 the road.
19 Chris Gianelloni
20 Developer, Gentoo Linux
21 Games Team