From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtuals for libudev and libgudev
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 13:50:27
1 On 03/29/2014 09:33 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 29/03/14 15:24, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> On 03/29/2014 09:23 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 >>> On 03/29/2014 08:58 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
5 >>>> On 29/03/14 14:30, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
6 >>>>> On 03/28/2014 07:53 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 >>>>>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
8 >>>>>> <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
9 >>>>>>> All in all, this isn't a bad idea on the surface, but the first
10 >>>>>>> arguement shows immediately when this is scaled up. How many other
11 >>>>>>> packages have multiple libs with different sonames? Off hand, I can
12 >>>>>>> think of poplar, but I'm sure there must be more. Is it really
13 >>>>>>> scalable, desirable, or sane, to break each package on the system
14 >>>>>>> into
15 >>>>>>> multiple different virtuals like this?
16 >>>>>> Clever idea, actually, though I'd be interested in whether anybody
17 >>>>>> else can think of any unintended consequences.
18 >>>>>>
19 >>>>> My objection to what happened with the introduction of these virtuals
20 >>>>> was that they directly affected eudev and yet the eudev team was not
21 >>>>> consulted.
22 >>>> eudev developer was contacted before any real impact on tree was
23 >>>> made to
24 >>>> make an ebuild-only change to build multilib libgudev like udev and
25 >>>> systemd
26 >>>> does
27 >>>> at which point any objections could have been raised, instead, like
28 >>>> expected, the version of eudev was provided to move forward, and we did
29 >>>>
30 >>>> so I don't agree with your assesment of not being consulted, when
31 >>>> you were
32 >>>>
33 >>> Not before the decision was made to go ahead with the change.
34 >>> Consulting means input before the decision.
35 >>>
36 >> Following up on this, do you have any objection to me co-maintianing
37 >> those virtuals?
38 >>
39 > With the inappropiate feedback I got from yesterday from you in
40 > #gentoo-dev, I'm not sure you are the best fit
41 > for maintaining any of these.
42
43 Others have these logs and are better judges of the responses. Let the
44 community read the responses for themselves.
47 > However, I suppose both of eudev@g.o and systemd@g.o
48 > should still be in metadata.xml of
49 > the virtuals as co-maintainers.
50 >
51 > But it doesn't mean you get to do dramatical changes to them without
52 > first discussing it with the main providers
53 > maintainers, that is, sys-fs/udev, and WilliamH and me. Dramatical
54 > changes, such as unannouncedly reverting
55 > others changes, masking them, etc.
56
57 This implies to the list that I made any changes. I did not touch or
58 mask any of these packages. In fact, I asked you to please look at the
59 eudev ebuilds to make sure they would work with the new virtual structure.
60
61 Furthermore, I am in favor of discussion. You ask of me precisely what
62 I ask of you. It is a good thing that we discuss these changes together.
65 > I shouldn't even be needing to tell any of this, as common sense should
66 > prevail, but lately it has been lost,
67 > so covering basis. Don't take insult of it.
68 >
69 > +1 for adding systemd and eudev to metadata.xml
72 Again, let the community judge "common sense". If eudev is added, then
73 that means we get to follow these packages as needed. It is not my
74 intention to obstruct what udev and systemd are doing, but to make sure
75 that the eudev ebuilds are not marginalized.
76
77 As for "main" providers, there are other distributions that are now
78 adopting eudev such as Linux From Scratch [1] and Crux is considering it
79 [2].
82 Ref.
83
84 [1]
85 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/eudev.html
86 [2] http://crux.nu/Wiki/TODO31
89 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
90 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
91 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
92 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
93 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA