From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Glep 49 (g2boojum's version)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:55:07
1 On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:17:06 +0000
2 Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Grant,
5 > Apologies; I can't find your note from yesterday, so I can't respond
6 > to the correct topic.
7 > One question just occurred to me; if it's been addressed before,
8 > apologies about that, too. Your requirement that any alternative
9 > package manager support any ebuild which portage supports seems
10 > essential, except for a boundary case. What about ebuilds which for
11 > whatever reason are invalid (serious specification violation, for
12 > example, to the extent that QA would reject them), but portage accepts
13 > them anyway. Must the alternative accept them as well? In a case
14 > like this, it seems to me that the ebuild works because of a bug in
15 > portage, and there should be no complaint if as a side effect of
16 > fixing this bug the ebuild in question quit working.
17 > If memory serves me, things like this have indeed happened. I can't
18 > recall a specific, however.
19
20 Actually this is probably the main problem of all the "package manager
21 compability" gleps: We don't have a proper specification, all existing
22 docs more or less are based on the existing portage implementation. So
23 right now the implementation is the authorative specification, which of
24 course creates some problems.
25 IMO before any such glep can be considered we need a proper
26 specification about our package and repository formats, otherwise you
27 can't really validate any package manager (the statespace is a bit
28 large for equivalence checks).
29
30 Marius
35 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
36 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list