From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Glep 49 (g2boojum's version)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:22:08
1 Grant,
2 Apologies; I can't find your note from yesterday, so I can't respond
3 to the correct topic.
4 One question just occurred to me; if it's been addressed before,
5 apologies about that, too. Your requirement that any alternative
6 package manager support any ebuild which portage supports seems
7 essential, except for a boundary case. What about ebuilds which for
8 whatever reason are invalid (serious specification violation, for
9 example, to the extent that QA would reject them), but portage accepts
10 them anyway. Must the alternative accept them as well? In a case like
11 this, it seems to me that the ebuild works because of a bug in portage,
12 and there should be no complaint if as a side effect of fixing this bug
13 the ebuild in question quit working.
14 If memory serves me, things like this have indeed happened. I can't
15 recall a specific, however.
16
17 Regards,
18 Ferris
19 --
20 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
21 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)