From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Glep 49 (g2boojum's version)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:33:50
1 On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:17:06 +0000
2 Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > What about ebuilds which for
5 > whatever reason are invalid (serious specification violation, for
6 > example, to the extent that QA would reject them), but portage accepts
7 > them anyway. Must the alternative accept them as well?
8
9 Precedent says that a new (minor) Portage version can quite happily
10 break such ebuilds, so I see no reason to say that any alternative
11 should accept them.
12
13 On a side note, this is part of the reason why we really need the
14 ebuild/tree format properly defined somewhere. It would remove any
15 worries about compatibility between ebuilds and package managers, as
16 long as ebuilds conform to a given specification, and the package
17 manager supports it. It also defines in a much better manner just what
18 a broken ebuild is.
19 --
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list