From: Jean Jordaan <jean@×××××××××××××××××.za>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Breaking up the beast known as app-games
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:19:36
1 >>Both make sense, and app-editors/yudit & app-editors/yudit would
2 >>also make sense. Instead of categories, ebuilds should have a
3 >>CATEGORY variable. E.g.
4 >
5 > Portage support would be required to support deeper trees.
6
7 Note that I'm not talking about trees at all. I'm talking about
8 a flat list of ebuilds, where every ebuild belongs to several
9 categories of different levels of specificity.
10
11 > The problem
12 > with symlinks is that we use CVS for our portage tree,
13
14 I don't propose any symlinking.
15
16 > I, too, would like to see support for a more heirarchical portage tree
17 > in a future version of portage.
18
19 I think a hierarchy, where every ebuild has a specific place in
20 the tree, is a bad fit for portage or for any packaging system.
21 One does need a taxonomy or controlled list of categories, but
22 an ebuild can legitimately belong to many categories.
23
24 As drobbins says, though, current portage code is tied to the
25 category structure. Which is perfectly workable, really :) I
26 just completely ignore the category, and use `emerge search` to
27 find packages. It only bugs developers who have to decide &
28 revise in which category to put a package. However, I'd like
29 categories to become more useful for me as user.
32 Jean Jordaan
33 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list