From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Breaking up the beast known as app-games
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:10:31
1 On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 16:52, Jean Jordaan wrote:
2 > >> but how about make more than 2
3 > >> levels in portage, as in OpenBSD's ports tree ?
4 >
5 > My personal feeling is that many packages don't belong in only one
6 > category. E.g. in portage currently:
7 >
8 > * app-text/yudit
11 > * app-editors/jedit
14 > Both make sense, and app-editors/yudit & app-editors/yudit would
15 > also make sense. Instead of categories, ebuilds should have a
16 > CATEGORY variable. E.g.
17
18 Portage support would be required to support deeper trees. The problem
19 with symlinks is that we use CVS for our portage tree, which doesn't
20 support symlinks (or graceful renaming, or ...); unfortunately, it's the
21 best game in town for us right now.
22
23 I agree w/ Vapier on this one. The short-term fix should be fine, and
24 I, too, would like to see support for a more heirarchical portage tree
25 in a future version of portage.
26
27 -g2boojum-
28 --