From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Breaking up the beast known as app-games
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:27:19
1 We could implement some kind of ebuild-link then? 'inherit app-editors/jedit'?
2
3 On Thursday 04 September 2003 10:09 pm, Grant Goodyear wrote:
4 > On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 16:52, Jean Jordaan wrote:
5 > > >> but how about make more than 2
6 > > >> levels in portage, as in OpenBSD's ports tree ?
7 > >
8 > > My personal feeling is that many packages don't belong in only one
9 > > category. E.g. in portage currently:
10 > >
11 > > * app-text/yudit
14 > > * app-editors/jedit
17 > > Both make sense, and app-editors/yudit & app-editors/yudit would
18 > > also make sense. Instead of categories, ebuilds should have a
19 > > CATEGORY variable. E.g.
20 >
21 > Portage support would be required to support deeper trees. The problem
22 > with symlinks is that we use CVS for our portage tree, which doesn't
23 > support symlinks (or graceful renaming, or ...); unfortunately, it's the
24 > best game in town for us right now.
25 >
26 > I agree w/ Vapier on this one. The short-term fix should be fine, and
27 > I, too, would like to see support for a more heirarchical portage tree
28 > in a future version of portage.
29 >
30 > -g2boojum-
33 Luke-Jr