From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55 Version 2
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 11:55:52
1 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Let's assume for the moment that we change from ".ebuild" to ".eb".
3 > Then we obviously cannot change all ebuilds in the tree to ".eb",
4 > otherwise old Portage versions would see an empty tree and there would
5 > be no upgrade path.
6 >
7 > Or am I missing something?
10 That is a good point. Although things would probably break more
11 gracefully than having old portage versions attempting to parse new
12 ebuilds (maybe, maybe not).
13
14 That actually makes me wonder - if we didn't change the extension at all
15 could we somehow poison the portage tree so that old versions of portage
16 would abort before doing anything dumb with a meaningful error message?
17
18 As far as an upgrade path goes - we could provide a one-time tarball
19 that will update portage (and its essential dependencies) to a version
20 that can get users out of this bind. If a user has a system THAT old
21 then they might just want to extract a stage1 tarball (manually -
22 without overwriting /etc without care) and go from there.
23
24 I'm not sure that gentoo generally supports graceful upgrades from very
25 ancient systems to modern ones without keeping up to date. Other
26 distros can do it since they do ~annual releases and users could just
27 apply those sequentially. For portage we don't keep around all the
28 files needed to do a sequential upgrade like this - if a user were to
29 try to upgrade to a 3-year-old version of some package most likely it
30 wouldn't be mirrored and upstream might not have it either.
31
32 We obviously need to give some thought to not breaking old versions of
33 portage, but given that portage will be only one of many problems if a
34 user doesn't do an emerge -u world for 5 years I'm not sure we need a
35 bulletproof solution...