From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55 Version 2
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 13:17:06
1 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> posted 4A2BAAA9.4030503@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 07 Jun 2009 07:55:21 -0400:
3
4 > As far as an upgrade path goes - we could provide a one-time tarball
5 > that will update portage (and its essential dependencies) to a version
6 > that can get users out of this bind. If a user has a system THAT old
7 > then they might just want to extract a stage1 tarball (manually -
8 > without overwriting /etc without care) and go from there.
9
10 We've done the tarball thing a couple times before, with portage I think,
11 with amd64/gcc for certain, as it was needed to get out of some sort of
12 multilib and profile based bind IIRC, and with the in-tree profiles (from
13 pre-cascade profiles) at least once too, IIRC.
14
15 > I'm not sure that gentoo generally supports graceful upgrades from very
16 > ancient systems to modern ones without keeping up to date. Other
17 > distros can do it since they do ~annual releases and users could just
18 > apply those sequentially. For portage we don't keep around all the
19 > files needed to do a sequential upgrade like this - if a user were to
20 > try to upgrade to a 3-year-old version of some package most likely it
21 > wouldn't be mirrored and upstream might not have it either.
22
23 AFAIK from what I've read here over the years, Gentoo tries to keep
24 smooth in-tree upgrades to a year out. Beyond that, we don't usually
25 deliberately break it without some warning and a tarball or similar
26 upgrade path for another six months to a year, but it's by no means
27 guaranteed it'll be a smooth upgrade after a year even if we aren't
28 deliberately breaking it. Generally, beyond a year, it's recommended
29 that one uses the stage tarball to get something at least operationally
30 modern, and goes from there.
31
32 Simply put, Gentoo's NOT in practice a distribution for the folks who
33 like to lollygag around for years between updates. Tho we do try to
34 support it up to a year out and to provide at least some form of likely
35 non-routine upgrade option beyond that, it definitely works best and with
36 the least trouble for those updating every month or at least once a
37 quarter, with things getting progressively more difficult and troublesome
38 the further out beyond that you go, simply because of lack of testing if
39 nothing else.
40
41 > We obviously need to give some thought to not breaking old versions of
42 > portage, but given that portage will be only one of many problems if a
43 > user doesn't do an emerge -u world for 5 years I'm not sure we need a
44 > bulletproof solution...
45
46 I just realized that I'm right about at my Gentoo 5-year anniversary,
47 with an original installation of 2004.1. (I tried 2004.0 but it didn't
48 work for some reason I never did figure out, but perhaps related to the
49 then new NPTL, which I was trying to enable.)
50
51 I can't /imagine/ first installing it then, and coming back to it now,
52 expecting anything but a full reinstall from stage tarball (assuming as
53 suppose I would be if I had been that out of it, that was still even
54 /using/ stage tarballs as it was then). Imagine people wondering what
55 happened to xfree86, among other things. I mean, talk about a time-
56 traveler getting confused by the future!
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman