From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: intel-sdp.eclass add USE="examples doc"
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 07:57:24
1 On 28/11/12 00:06, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 November 2012 11:49:52 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 >> On 27/11/2012 08:01, justin wrote:
4 >>> The reason I introduced the USE here and in general to use it in similar
5 >>> locations is that those packages install tons of documentation and
6 >>> examples, which I personally don't like to waste my diskspace with. What
7 >>> is wrong to give the user this install only option?
8 >>
9 >> You could go with "minimal" in that case. How big said documentation
10 >> would be? Over 100M? Because boost's libraries are 100M without debug
11 >> information.
12 >>
13 >> In general I prefer having everything available by default if it doesn't
14 >> require impossible amount of space, add dependency, or take time to build.
15 >>
16 >> We have INSTALL_MASK and FEATURES=nodoc if you don't want the
17 >> documentation, after all.
18 >
19 > documentation is not the same thing as examples. if the examples are large
20 > (or even if they aren't), then USE=examples is an acceptable approach to
21 > filtering.
22 > -mike
25 That's exactly my opinion, therefore doc was dropped and examples is
26 still living.
27
28 justin