From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: intel-sdp.eclass add USE="examples doc"
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 23:06:24
1 On Tuesday 27 November 2012 11:49:52 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 27/11/2012 08:01, justin wrote:
3 > > The reason I introduced the USE here and in general to use it in similar
4 > > locations is that those packages install tons of documentation and
5 > > examples, which I personally don't like to waste my diskspace with. What
6 > > is wrong to give the user this install only option?
7 >
8 > You could go with "minimal" in that case. How big said documentation
9 > would be? Over 100M? Because boost's libraries are 100M without debug
10 > information.
11 >
12 > In general I prefer having everything available by default if it doesn't
13 > require impossible amount of space, add dependency, or take time to build.
14 >
15 > We have INSTALL_MASK and FEATURES=nodoc if you don't want the
16 > documentation, after all.
17
18 documentation is not the same thing as examples. if the examples are large
19 (or even if they aren't), then USE=examples is an acceptable approach to
20 filtering.
21 -mike