From: Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:25:13
1 Hi,
2
3 13.09.14 22:03, Peter Stuge написав(ла):
4 >> E.g. we in downstream have some patches, when upstream changes
5 >> related code (e.g. applying our patches), ebuild fails to build.
6 >
7 > I consider this a separate issue however. I would actually expect
8 > there to be a policy which forbids patches on live ebuilds. Make
9 > another live ebuild or maybe an overlay if you want to offer a
10 > different set of commits than the upstream repo.
13 In the ideal country of elves. In the real life it can be not possible to build and install software in a given distribution without downstream patches. You can find examples of such live ebuilds in Gentoo tree.
16 >> Everything in live ebuild can change, so it will fail.
17 >> It can be not crap, but some improvements, but it does not matter
18 >> for the possibility of building of a given ebuild.
19 >
20 > Patches aside I completely agree that a live ebuild is a moving
21 > target, but to me that is a good thing, in fact the very essence
22 > of open source.
25 Open source is not about instability. It is just about sources being available. No more, no less. ;-)
26
27 Anyway, summarizing, it is completely impossible to be sure that live ebuild will be buildable for you on a given arch in the next 15 min., even if it was so in the last 15 min.
30 Jauhien