From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 22:45:06
1 Jauhien Piatlicki:
2
3 > In the ideal country of elves. In the real life it can be not possible to build and install software in a given distribution without downstream patches. You can find examples of such live ebuilds in Gentoo tree.
4
5 I think it's not appropriate and shouldn't generally be done (with a few
6 exceptions). If the live ebuild needs heavy patching to even work, then
7 don't commit it to the tree.
8
9 > Anyway, summarizing, it is completely impossible to be sure that live ebuild will be buildable for you on a given arch in the next 15 min., even if it was so in the last 15 min.
10
11 That goes for almost all ebuild variables. So you either drop the whole
12 concept of live ebuilds or you do what is reasonable:
13
14 a) provide consistent ebuild information, including keywords
15 b) ask upstream about their git workflow, which branches they use, what
16 arches they even officially support
17 c) only add live ebuilds if the upstream git model is something that can
18 be relied upon in one way or another and if you can keep up with the changes
19
20 If your live ebuild breaks every 15 minutes, then it shouldn't be in the
21 tree.
22
23 I actually don't commit live ebuild unless I know that upstream is
24 collaborative and I'v contributed to almost all of the projects which I
25 package as live ebuilds.